GMW Jewish Camp Staff Fellowship
The purpose of the Greater MetroWest (GMW) Camp Staff Fellowship program is to increase the number of Jewish teens/young adults working at key Jewish camps serving the Greater MetroWest NJ (GMW) community during summer 2023, as well as enhance the leadership development of the participants.
- Hired by a Greater MetroWest partner camp or designated specialty camp as a counselor or staff member for Summer 2023 (see participating camps below)
- Live in Greater MetroWest NJ (Essex, Morris, Union, Sussex and parts of Somerset counties) or affiliated with a Greater MetroWest synagogue, day school, or Hillel
- Include Judaism as part of your identity
- Age 18 or graduating high school senior (June 2023) and older
- Additional criteria as determined by each camp
This is a pilot program and participation is limited as follows:
A certain number of Camp Fellowships have been designated for each participating camp. Each camp will determine their selection criteria or invite specific staff members to apply or participate. If you have previously attended or worked at Jewish camp, please contact camp(s) of interest for more details.
In addition, a number of Fellowships have been reserved to be awarded to prospective staff members who are brand new to Jewish camp, sourced through Jewish Federation of Greater MetroWest NJ, and referred to and hired by a participating camp. These Camp Fellowships and stipends are limited and awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Tracy Levine at firstname.lastname@example.org or (973) 975-9213.
Overnight Camps: Camp Harlam, Camp Havaya, Camp Kinder Ring, Camp Moshava I.O., Camp Ramah in the Berkshires, Camp Young Judaea Sprout Lake, Camp Zeke, NJY Camps (Camp Nah-Jee-Wah, Cedar Lake Camp, Teen Camp, Round Lake, Camp Nesher), Eden Village Camp, Sababa Beachaway, 6 Points Creative Arts Academy, 6 Points Sci-Tech Academy, Tel Yehudah
Day Camps: Camp Deeny Riback, Camp Yachad, Union Y Camps
GMW Camp Fellowship Stipend
- Camp Fellows receive an extra stipend of $500 for day camp or $1,000 for overnight camp for working a full summer, above camp pay. Prorated amounts can be arranged for partial programs if agreed to by the camp.
- Funding for the stipend is provided by Jewish Federation of Greater MetroWest and will be paid to Camp Fellows by the camp.
- Camp Fellows will receive the stipend after the camp season ends. Camp Fellows must leave camp on good terms. If Camp Fellow is terminated for any reason during the summer, no incentive will be awarded, and the individual will no longer be considered a participant.
- Note: Camps will pay Camp Fellows the same rate (before the stipend) as other counselors/staff members in similar positions.
Additional Program Elements
- Camp Fellows will participate in one pre-camp Zoom engagement session for Greater MetroWest participants. This will include a workshop An Intro to Diversity, Equity + Inclusion in a Camp Setting presented by Rebecca Wanatick, Ed. M. – Director, Disability Inclusion & Belonging, Jewish Federation of Greater MetroWest and Rabbi Isaac Saposnik, Executive Director, Camp Havaya.
- Camp Fellows will serve as a resource for camp recruitment for the 2023-2024 school year – for example, by helping at camper/staff recruitment activities hosted by Federation and/or camp, talking to prospective camp families, sharing info on social media, speaking at their synagogue etc. Specific responsibilities will be determined with each Camp Fellow.
- Camp Fellow will complete a post-summer survey about their experience.
- Camp Fellows will have access to special GMW Professional Networking opportunities, including connecting with a professional in their field of interest and attending a networking event, in conjunction with the Business & Professional Network (BPN) of Jewish Federation of Greater MetroWest.
If you are interested in this opportunity, contact Tracy Levine at email@example.com or (973) 975-9213. Tracy will provide personalized guidance to connect you with prospective camps based on your skills and interests.