First Time Campers
Welcome prospective camp families! You’ve come to the right place – One Happy Camper NJ is a free resource to guide families of Greater MetroWest New Jersey on finding the right camp. Request a consultation or call us today at (973) 929-2972.
During these unusual times, we can be your eyes and ears, as we spend every summer visiting camps and work closely with the directors. There are many great ways to learn about camps such as video calls, virtual events and parlor meetings, private tours and more.
A great way to explore sleepaway camp is through rookie days or short intro stays from one night to one week. We can also connect you with Rookie Days and Short Introductory Stays for summer 2021. Camps offer summer tours. Many camps also offer 12- to 14-day options.
Contact Tracy for options to meet your exact needs. First-time campers at 150+ overnight camps and teen programs may be eligible for a gift of up to $1,000 One Happy Camper grants and additional financial resources.
Here are our top 5 tips for finding the right camp:
- Take time to do research – ideally start more than a year in advance (though we can help you find a camp on short notice as well!)
- Involve your child, so that they have a vested interest
- Talk with the Director, staff and other families
- Ideally visit camps during the summer while in session; alternatively, consider off-season visits, home visits by Director or camp events
- Evolve as you proceed through the process – and trust your gut feeling!
It is never too early or too late to begin camp – including many program options for teens of all ages!